Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Goats Milk Olive Oil Soap

Date Poured: 14th Feb 2009
Recipie:
1000g Olive oil
129g Sodium Hydroxide
333g Goats Milk

Measure and freeze Goats Milk in a pyrex jug until it's at least at slushy stage, add sodium hydroxide slowly, stiring, milk will thaw and heat up
Measure oils (note 500ml of olive oil =455g) into stainless steel bowl
Mix to trace then pour into moulds

Now for the mould I just used some takeaway containers, no need for oiling


After being poured


24 hours later, un-moulded and cut into bar sizes

Costing:
Olive oil (500ml: $2.92) $5.84
Goats milk (1L: $3.99) $1.33
Sodum Hydroxide (500g $4.00) $1.02

Cost of batch = $8.37
Cost per 100g = $0.64

I think in future I will pour a thinner layer in the mould, say 2.5 to 3cm, and cut it wider so that the soaps have more mould and top surface and less cut surface, I think it will also help to keep the blocks a bit more even.

2 comments:

  1. wow that looks silky smooth. I think I will try this one because yours looks so lovely. I want to avoid crumbly soap :D

    Yep I think you are right about pouring a thinner layer. Just use more containers. That is kind of my theory atm too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been using this one and the other goats milk soap I made and I have noticed that this one doesn't have a lot of lather and can feel a bit slimy, especially compared to the other one, but it is still nice to use.

    I think to avoid a crumbly soap you need to cut it pretty quickly after it has been poured, I let mine set for a day and then de-mould and cut almost straight away.

    ReplyDelete