Recipe:
500g Tallow (homebrand solidified oil - Animal Fat)
250g Coconut oil
250g Olive oil
141g Lye
375g Water (coffee)
For this recipe I made up some coffee with 2 tablespoons of Irish cream ground coffee in 300mL hot water, this then went into the freezer to cool and turn into a slushy, and the extra weight of water made up with ice cubes, with the lye added to that, then added to the oils.
I am hoping that this will end up being a nice hard bar, with good cleansing, and a good bubbly, creamy lather.
I am hoping that this will end up being a nice hard bar, with good cleansing, and a good bubbly, creamy lather.
The two smaller blocks are about 385g and the bigger one 715g. Cutting each of the smaller ones into three and the larger one into 6 will result in 12 bars around the 120g mark.
After being cut.
Weighing each of the bars, each one is between 115g and 130g, so I will be interested to see how much weight is lost in the curing process. Also there is not a huge coffee smell to it but I think that once it is cured the smell will come out quite well when being used as a subtle smell.
Costing:
Tallow (500g): $1.58
Coconut oil (250g): $2.16
Olive oil(500ml=$2.92): $1.80
Lye (500g=$4.00): $1.13
Cost of batch: $6.67
Cost per 100g: $0.51
Unfortunately coffee in soap doesn't end up smelling like coffee. You need the synthetic frangrance for that. Even when you're using it the coffee doesn't smell like it should. It's really disappointing - and I've got over a kg of coffee soap here to prove it!
ReplyDeleteIt is extremely good as a deodorant soap, and the grittiness of the coffee is great after gardening.